Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Otak of the earthsea by Maho


Hi everyone. My funfiction will be based on The wizard of the earthsea. You know, there is Ged's pet, little beast Otak. I'll write a story from his point of view.

My story will basically extend his character much more than the actual story. For instance, how he managed to meet Ged, how he managed to get into Ged's room from the first place, how they bond with each other, how he watches over his master as he got stronger and more powerful, and how Otak himself is able to use magic.

Paul told me that a Japanese director, Miyao Hayazaki was going to film the Wizard of the earthsea, but instead, he filmed Naussica, valley of the wind and the heroine. He didn't keep the whole idea of the story, but he kept the image of Otak. In this film, a creature like Otak appears. I’ll put a picture of him here. He is the one who is sitting on a shoulder of the woman.


12 comments:

Dr Paul Mountfort said...

I like this idea, Maho. The otak is a common kind of character in fairy tales (although Earthsea is fantasy) sometimes referred to as the 'animal helper' or 'familiar'. It's a very ancient theme, probably linked to our own animal origins.

I find as a reader it's quite a shock in Earthsea when 'the little otak' dies - can't quite remember the circumstances of his death , can you?

Pear Jin said...

Hi Maho,

I love OTAK!

It is so sad that he dies because I really wish he survives and will aid Ged in continuing his adventure.

I can't wait for your version of Otak's narrative.

:)

Birdie said...

Cool, you are always a animal lover, but one thing i just wondering that Miyao Hayazaki did not direct the movie of the tals of the earthsea, however, his son did it and deleted the atak in the movie Tales of earthsea.

Rex said...

Hi Maho
I'm a big fan of Miyazaki Hayao and I love every anime from him! Although I haven't seen The Wizard of Earthsea yet, but just by looking at the plots you've outlined for your fan fiction, I believe you have some real cool ideas! (By the way, Biridie said you're an animal lover?? or an anime lover?)

Anyway, hope I can read your fan fiction soon!

Rex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maho said...

To Rex

Yes, I'm definitely an animal lover. I just can't resist them.. ;) That's why I wanna write a story of Otak. It's too sad that he died!

I also like anime. I reckon "Bleach" is the coolest anime, although the original manga is far better, coz anime tend to put all these filler stories which have nothing to do with the basic storyline.

Maho said...

To Paul

Yes I was also shocked that Otak died in the story. He was killed by the shadow which Ged was running away from. He managed to get away from it that point, (he got off from the boat that he aws on, and escaped into this huge house)but Otak coudln't.

Pear Jin said...

You know, I wish Otak will be cuter and fuzzier.

It dissapoints me JUST a little when I see a yellow/dark brown striped creature in the picture.

I mean, it can be cuter.

They should make Otak looks like a miniature Pikachu. heh.

Birdie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Birdie said...

Yes, i agree Pear's idea, can you make it looks more fat and lazy like the
Pikachu or Totoro.

Maho said...

To Birdie

Totoro is too fat, Birdie :(